Adopted on the 14th day of September, 2013
- The name of the association shall be Ascent New Brunswick (Ascent).
- Acquire and preserve access to New Brunswick climbing areas.
- Promote responsible climbing practices.
- Exercise a climbing management plan as determined by the Bylaws.
- Ascent delegates its power to the Executive for ongoing and day to day concerns, while more encompassing, roadmap issues are dealt with by the Board of Directors.
- Any physical person who uses climbing areas in New Brunswick may become a member of Ascent.
- Membership shall terminate on March 31st of each year.
- Membership provides access to all climbing areas for which Ascent has official agreements in place.
- Membership may provide special permissions with respect to Ascent endorsed events.
- Other membership requirements and benefits will be determined by the Bylaws.
- Members can be removed from Ascent by vote only. Only members of the Executive can vote to remove a member, and 66% of Executive must be present. A yea vote of 50% permits the removal of a member.
- A member can appeal their removal to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors decision is final and binding.
- A list of the membership will be maintained by the Vice President.
5. Board of Directors
- Ascent will be steered by a three member board of directors. These Directors will be voted in by the members, on a biennial basis.
- Directors are responsible for the drafting of the Bylaws.
- Board of Directors candidates must have led Cheekbone Corner (or another route requiring equivalent competency) and have contributed to development of climbing routes in NB.
- Any expense of greater than $500 a will require a vote by the Board of Directors of at least 50%.
- Board of Directors meetings will be held twice a year, with a month’s notice.
- Quorum for Board of Directors meetings is 66%.
- Minutes for Board of Directors meetings will be taken by a Director agreed upon at meeting commencement.
6. The Executive
- Ascent will be managed by three members of the Executive.
- Vice President
- The Executive will be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- The Executive will participate in the day to day management of Ascent.
- The Executive are responsible for the solicitation of new access agreements.
- The Executive are responsible for the maintenance of existing access agreements.
- The Executive must be residents of New Brunswick.
- Each member of the Executive must have sent Snakepeel (or another route requiring equivalent competency), at Joe’s Garage, Cochrane Lane.
- Up to two more member can be added as required in the future, as determined by the Bylaws.
- Candidates for President must have held a previous executive position with Ascent.
- Expenses less than or equal to $500 can be made on authority of the The Executive.
- Executive meetings will be held quarterly, with a month's notice.
- Quorum for The Executive meetings is 66%.
- Minutes for The Executive meetings will be recorded for each meeting by the Secretary/Treasurer.
- Minutes will be recorded for each meeting by the Secretary/Treasurer.
- Notices of meetings will be given by the Vice President.
- Special Meetings can be held at any time, with at least a week’s notice and require 25% quorum to pass any votes.
- A Special Meeting can only be called with support of a majority of the Executive, or a majority of the Directors, or at least 50% of the general membership.
- Upon abdication, The Executive and The Board of Directors can appoint a replacement if over half way through their term. If not over halfway through the term, a Special Meeting can be called to elect a replacement.
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held yearly, with a month’s notice. Must be held within a month of notice given.
- Quorum for AGM is 33%.
- The location and date and time of the AGM will be decided by the Executive.
- Elections are held at the AGM, and are managed by the President.
- All voting is done either by show of hands, or by other means at the discretion of the Executive.
- Any and all meetings can, if necessary, be carried out by electronic media.
- Each member has one vote.
- Voting by proxy will not be allowed.
- Bylaws can be enacted, repealed, and amended at AGMs and Special Meetings.
- A simple majority of attendees is required to enact, repeal, or amend a Bylaw.
- A bank account will be kept by Ascent, with access by two members of the Executive.
- Fundraising and expenditure guidelines will be determined by the Bylaws.
- Upon dissolution, the assets of Ascent will be divided equally between all members.
11. Amendments to the Constitution.
- Quorum is required to make amendments to the Constitution.
- Quorum for Constitutional changes is 33%.
- Constitutional changes require a yea vote of at least 66%.
- Constitutional changes will be drafted by the Board of Directors.